Okay…some weirdness, but I can get the software to work.  Here is what I have
done (some help from you guys, some help from the IT guys where I work, and the
internet).  It’s a little complex…

Configuration 1: My laptop is connected via USB to a PK-232SC+ which has a 2
port USB hub built in – my KXUSB is plugged in there.  Under this
configuration, no joy with the KX3 Utility recognizing the COM port.

Configuration 2: My laptop is connected to the KX3 directly via USB port.
Under this configuration, no joy with the KX3 Utility recognizing the COM port.

Configuration 3: My laptop is connected to the KX3 directly via USB port.
Under COM port settings for the KX3USB connected port,  I changed the latency
timer to 8 ms from 16 ms.  Under this configuration, the KX3 Utility recognizes
the COM port every time.

Returning to configuration one with the lower latency timer setting does not
allow the KX3 utility to see the com port, so no joy there.

BUT – it’s a weird BUT – If I connect the KXUSB directly to the laptop, open
the utility and connect, disconnect the KX3USB from the laptop and connect it
to the hub built in to the PK-232sc+, it works as long as I don’t exit the KX3
utility software.  I can even close the serial port in the software, BUT as
long as I don’t exit the software, I can reopen the serial port and it works
fine.  I can close the port and use other software that needs the KXUSB as long
as I don’t exit the KX3 utility program (just leave it minimized) it works when
I need it.

How crazy is that?  Any gurus figure that one out??

Hank
K4HYJ