I don't know, Don. If he installs the KPA100 the lack of temperature stability will be a serious issue, at least for digital modes. My experience was that before installing the temperature compensation mod, the drift was unacceptable even on CW. This was not a problem before the additional heat generated by the KPA100. I think what he should do is get a newer rig (I won't speculate as to what's best) for his home-based digital operations. Then he can either keep his QRP K2 for portable fun, use it as a backup rig as I have done, or even sell it (as I would NEVER do!)

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO