the next step would be to get rid of linear amplification. It’s an over 90 year
old technique that was  originally all but necessary to amplify SSB. New
methods employing saturated switching amplification would be much more
efficient (90% or more) while having much lower IMD (-80 db or more) and
produce a lot less heat all while maintaining 12 volt operation and eliminating
the TX D/A converter.  Probably some form of RFPWM but there are other options.

The wireless data people are all over these technologies as power efficiency in
that area is an extreme requirement but because of the frequencies involved
this can be a tradeoff against suppressing switching byproducts and require
complicated bandpass filters. For HF Ham radio applications only a fairly
simple low pass filter would be necessary.

A thought for a K4S or K5?

Sent from my iPad