From: Paul Baldock <p...@paulbaldock.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2020 10:06 PM
To: Peter Dougherty <li...@w2irt.net>; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] NOT the feedline (was KPA-1500 faulting on 6m; SWR
issues)

A few things I observe on my KPA 1500:

On 6m the KPA1500 reads 1.3/1.4:1 into a perfect load.  FYI it reads
1.2:1 in to a perfect load on 10M also, but 1.0:1 on all other
bands.Elecraft have various excuses for this.

1500W its really pushing it on 6M. Way to much compression. I run mine at
1100W out with 38W drive. as you state 90W, that's way too much drive.

As the amp warms up the output drops (on all bands), but I never exceed 38W
drive on 6M.

On FT8 I drive it to 500W out only, and the amp stays reasonably cool.

On 6M I bypass the tuner as the real antenna SWR is less than 1.5:1, and I
ignore what the KP1500 says it is.

Try the amp the way I use it and see how it goes.

Good luck

- Paul KW7Y

At 06:29 PM 5/31/2020, you wrote:
>Many here suggested that it was most likely a feedline issue, and I
>figured this was indeed a distinct possibility.
>
>So this afternoon I replaced the feedline. I now have about 80 feet of
>brand new LMR-400, new 83-SP1 connectors (and an Amphenol adaptor at
>the balun since I don't have any type-N connectors here). The AA-230
>ZOOM analyzer shows about 1.2:1 at 50.313, with resonance just below
>the band. I'll fix that tomorrow, but 1.2 or 1.3:1 should be nothing to the
KPA.