On 5/31/2020 7:22 PM, Peter Dougherty wrote:
This is a brand-new balun from InnovAntennas, made specifically for this
antenna, received this past Thursday.

The word "balun" has been used to describe nearly a dozen VERY different physical things, and is thus totally useless as a descriptor of what you used (or what they sold you). Buy me a case of a good single malt Scotch and I'll run down the list.

I have extensively studied only one set of those "things," common mode chokes formed by winding a length of transmission line onto a ferrite core that is lossy at the frequency(ies) of interest, forming a parallel resonance in the common mode circuit where the RESISTIVE component of the low-Q parallel resonance is what makes the choke work.

A good common mode choke does not interact with a well-designed antenna unless the Zo of the transmission line wound onto the ferrite core is mismatched to the antenna. And I emphatically do NOT call them "baluns" because use of that word obscures understanding of HOW they work.

73, Jim K9YC