To remove any doubt, a 1.5kw or close dummy load at the end of the coax to replace antenna, would confirm the amp issue.

On 1/6/20 12:27 pm, Peter Dougherty wrote:
Paul, please re-read what I wrote. The 90W figure is with the amp IN
STANDBY! I wouldn't dream of putting more than about 35W into the KPA-1500.
I generally like to run about 1200W on 6m, but even if I turn my K3s drive
down to 20 Watts, it will STILL hard-fault regularly. NO AMOUNT OF DRIVE
from the K3s will stop these problems. If the amp is set to deliver power
it's going to fault on 6m, regardless of what the ATU is set for (bypass or
inline), and the KPA will miss-read the SWR of the antenna system.

The resistance figure is 50.8 Ohms, and the reactance is -11 according to
the AA-230. The only difference between "works reliably" and "faults out all
the time" is one is a resistive-only load, the other has a reactive
component.

  - pjd

-