Al,

A very refreshing perspective.  Thank you!

'73 de JIM N2ZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Al Lorona
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2020 2:22 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New antenna works!

I'm glad Dave added that to the end of his message, because each time the topic
of multiband antennas comes up, we are told, "That's too lofty a goal for one
antenna. Just put up a resonant antenna and all your troubles will be gone."
All except for the problem of operating on all bands without having to put up 9
resonant HF antennas, that is. I think we do a disservice to the hundreds of
hams reading this by discouraging them from multiband operation just because we
deem it too "noisy" or "lossy" or "inconvenient" or whatever.

If a man or woman, knowing full well the consequences of his or her actions,
chooses to utilize a single, horizontal antenna of no particular length,
ultra-low-loss feedline long enough to reach the shack, and a low-loss homebrew
or commercial manual antenna tuner to operate on all bands, then who are we to
tell him or her that they shouldn't? To do so has always struck me as
presumptuous.

Incidentally, can we do two things? Can we all get over the gross assumption
that we continue to make, that when someone mentions feeding an antenna with
"balanced line" that must mean Wireman #553? There are better alternatives. If
our beef is with Wireman #553, then let's be on with it without condemning
*all* forms of balanced line.

Secondly, antenna tuners are not necessarily lossier than the aggregate of
cables, connectors, wattmeters, filters, switches, elbows, lightning arrestors,
baluns, autotuners, &c., &c., that many folks use. Everything has loss, but in
effect we trade that loss for some other valuable function... like being able
to QSY anwhere, easily. To give you a data point, on 12 meters my station has a
max loss (from transmitter to the antenna feedpoint) of 1.6 dB. I'll put that
worst-case number up against anybody's long run of coax through all the other
junk from their transmitter to their antenna.

Folks, you should not feel inferior for having chosen to operate on many bands
with an antenna tuner. I think the case could be made that the *resonant*
antenna is the compromise, giving up all band operation for some other desired
function. And sadly, sometimes that compromise is made just so they can say
that they're not using a tuner!

Al  W6LX

Message delivered to jboehne...@yahoo.com