On 8/1/2020 12:12 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
My gripe with the original post from G3UNA was simply his generalization that resonant antennas are bad and that non-resonant antennas are good.

Same here. Most antennas that we can install are some form of compromise. Higher is better. One size fits all solutions generally don't perform as well as antennas optimized for a band or given application. Antenna tuners do NOT make an antenna work better, they simply allow the transmitter to put power into the feedline, and by optimizing the load that the transmitter sees, they reduce the distortion that the amplifier produces. Remember -- SWR is NOT a measure of antenna performance. Louder at the other guy's radio IS. Less RX noise IS.

What we all would do if we could is often very different from what we CAN do. What we would rig to operate from a park bench or on a mountaintop is usually very different from what we would do at home.

73, Jim K9YC