I prefer to use resonant antennas, either single or multi band and not use a
tuner, however, I have encountered that even resonant antennas are not always
so due to ground conditions,
Case in point, two weeks ago we hiked to the summit of Sentinel Mountain in
Baxter State Park. I carried my KX3, foldable 42 watt solar panel, 6amp/hr
lithium battery, coax and a 40 meter resonant slinky antenna which I had
previously tested at my QTH in Mid Coast, ME. Antenna would not resonate due to
the granite terrain. Luckily I brought with me a mAT-10 qrp tuner I had just
purchased and was able to get on the air just fine. Tried to post pix earlier
but file was too big for the reflector. I’ll gladly send it to antone that
wants to see it.
Stay Free everyone!
73 de Jose Douglas KB1TCD

Sent from my iPad