Dave and Jim

Our friend made strong mention of SOTA and the KX series of portable rigs and
those users often require a multi-band antenna for simplicity and to keep the
weight down.  Our friend's 40m vertical is also being used on 20m, so, it's
reasonable to assume he desires multi-band performance, perhaps even more
bands.  In portable situations the feeder is often short and sometimes
non-existent so there is little or no transformation.  Elecraft promote their
rigs to be used with non-resonant antennas: why strive for such a wide range
matching unit if not?  Eric has told us many times that he is happy with odd
lengths of wire thrown up a tree and another piece thrown on the ground as a
counterpoise, ie multi-band, non-resonant antenna.  In these situations lobes
and radiation angles are less important than just getting out.

David G3UNA