Hi all,

A follow-up on my problem: today I’ve opened up the belly of the KAT500 and
have done some testing. With no USB cable connected and the KAT500 powered up,
the Q1 drain voltage is 2.39V, where I would expect 5V. Also the gate voltage
is 2.30V, where I would expect it to be floating. With the power off, I’ve
measure the drain-gate resistance. It’s 5.5 k ohms. Oops!

My conclusion must be that Q1 has failed. So now I’m about to learn how to SMD
components, hi hi.

Thanks for your help so far.

73 de Frank PA4N

> On 4 Dec 2020, at 17:35, Rick Bates, NK7I <rick.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Frank,
>
> I would start with a complete power removal (not just off) to the KAT500 and
> the computer (unplugged from power).  Then go have a cuppa.  When you get
> back, plug the power in and restart it and test.
>
> I have found that some devices (more in the USB realm) occasionally 'stick'
> when exposed to RF and that a long power removal is the only cure.  If it's a
> frequent event, you have an RFI issue to deal with (better grounding and
> bonding is the first place to start for that).
>
> GL,
> Rick NK7I
>

> On 12/4/2020 8:22 AM, Frank R. Oppedijk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’ve used my KAT500 with pleasure for many years, but recently a problem has
>> arisen: I’ve lost the serial communication feature. I’ve already swapped the
>> KXUSB cable with another one (home-brew) so I’m pretty sure it’s not the
>> KXUSB that’s gone kaput. And the PC is doing USB comms fine (e.g. the USB
>> interfaces to my K3), so I guess it’s not the PC or the USB port either.
>>
>> I’m contemplating trying a KAT500 factory reset. But two questions arise:
>> 1. Can I do a factory reset without having the serial comms working (so: can
>> I do a factory reset other than from within the KAT500 Utility)?
>> 2. What antennas are enabled after a factory reset?
>>
>> (Question 2 is because I have multiple antennas connected to the KAT500, and
>> if the factory defaults would be that only ANT1 would be enabled, I would
>> lose functionality until I’ve got the KAT500 repaired…)
>>
>> Hope the collective wisdom of the group can help me out.
>>
>> 73 de Frank PA4N

>> Message delivered to rick.n...@gmail.com

> Message delivered to fr...@qrd.nl

---