Vin, KR2F asked:

Can I get a sampling of exactly how you connect your portable rigs, etc to
your batteries?  I know about Anderson Power Poles, but I am wondering if I
need a special crimping tool for them.  Plus, I am getting weary of ordering
a small quantity of something, and paying upwards of 50% more of the
original purchase price on shipping.

Ideas?

-----------------

The crimp tool issue is going to be, in part, personal preference. However,
I do not like to use crimp connections anywhere I can avoid it.

A "crimp" is, in theory, as good as solder if it's done exactly right. Done
right, the two surfaces are brought together under such pressure that there
is excellent metal-to-metal contact over the entire area with so much force
that the atoms actually collide over a large area, excluding all air or
opportunity for corrosion. In short, it's *almost* a solder connection
without the solder.

The problem is that unless you achieve the perfect "crimp", there will be
voids that reduce the surface contact, leading to increased resistance. Also
air can enter and the oxygen will start oxidation that further increases the
resistance, especially in the presence of heat caused by the current flow
across the crimp.

Soldering is so simple and so easy to do that I solder instead of crimp for
any connection that I want to remain a good connection over time.

I note that Elecraft also recommends soldering Anderson connectors instead
of crimping them.

And, yes, I've never grown any fondness for twist-on or crimp-type coaxial
connectors either <G>.

At the other extreme, I'll happily use alligator clips for temporary
connections: RF or DC. After all, it's obvious if they aren't making good
contact. For DC supplies, voltages droop under load. Of course, you want to
use the right size clip. For high-current DC use the large size intended for
high currents. But for most portable operation at QRP levels, I find the
standard size alligator clips FB.

Ron AC7AC