Quite a post there Doug.  Thanks for the comments & insight.

... But ...

That line of logic would have suggested the K2 would not have been
successful.  A QRP rig for $600?  Gee, for that price we can get a full
power rig from Asia.  But as history has show, the risk has paid off and
the K2 has indeed been a pretty successful rig both within and beyond
the QRP community.

If there were a K3 and if it offered enough improvements or changes to
differentiate itself from the K2, then you'd see some pretty good sales.
I suspect much of the sales would be to existing customers who already
have a K2, K1 and/or KX1.  We as a group have already shown that we're
eager to buy multiple Elecraft offerings.  After all there is
substantial overlap between the 3 rigs (esp. K1 & KX1) yet many have all
3!

Being a kit is a differentiator all it's own.  With no Heathkit kits
anymore, those who want to build are left rather unsatisfied.  Let's say
the K3 were a 100 watt HF rig with a full-size form factor, full size
ergonomics and operating features similar to the K2.  Further assume a
price tag of, say $1000.  I bet you'd see sales!

Of course, as you point out, the trick is just what would a K3 be?  Top
notch contest rig?  Bottom tier starter rig?  DC to Daylight all mode
rig?  SDR?  It makes my head spin just thinking about it.

Which is why I personally favor a K2-B.  K2 internals married with a
larger front panel featuring more and larger knobs.  Same basic K2
performance in a larger package with more base-station oriented
ergonomics.  Basically, I guess I'm thinking I don't really need a K3 at
all.  The K2's performance is all I require, but a bigger box and analog
S-meter would be nice.

73!

- Keith KD1E -
- K2 5411 -