It seems to me that the K2 does everything I want it to do from a feature and
performance point of view - where it's lacking, as may people have said,  is in
user ergonomics. There are just too many functions that are squeezed into the
limited front panel to make it very easy to use. While I haven't yet hooked my
K2 to a computer, it looks like a number of the programs that work with the K2
effectively expand the front panel with more "push buttons" and controls. But
since I don't want to have to haul a laptop with me when I travel with my K2,
what I would like is not another bigger (and more expensive) K2+ or K3 but a
simple, and small front panel extension box... perhaps something about the size
of a KX-1. This box would have separate push buttons for each XTAL and DSP
filter and for each of the  tuning rates - that way I can just press a button
and not have to cycle around all of the different choices to get to the one
that I want. And, each button would have a built in L!
 ED that would light to indicate which button I pushed so that the choice is
immediately obvious. This front panel extension box could also have a number of
buttons for other functions that now require several menu steps, such as
turning the DSP noise filter on and off, displaying the clock, etc. It can also
have separate LED indicators to indicate when the RIT is on, when the XIT is
on, etc. The box wouldn't duplicate any of the functions that are now directly
available on the K2 front panel but would make it much easier to get to the
frequently used functions that require multiple pushes of a button or multiple
menus.

The nice thing about such a front panel extension, besides making the K2 much
more user friendly, and being small and light enough to take along, is that it
could be easily implemented with a small processor that interfaces to the K2
via the remote K2 commands through the KIO2.

So, would you buy such a front panel extension? How much would this go toward
satisfying your desire for a K2+ or a K3, and how much would you be willing to
pay for it?

Bob W1SRB

P.S. I sent this idea to Wayne and Eric several months ago.

        .