I'm not sure what you mean by "tie up the K2 as the IF."  It only ties up
the K2 to the extent that you can't be operating on the HF bands at the same
moment. Using the K60XV interface, the transverters simply look like more
bands on the K2. You press the band switch to select the band you want. If
it's a VHF/UHF band, the transverter becomes active. Otherwise, it works
exactly like any HF band.

You can switch between any of the VHF/UHF bands and any of the MF bands as
quickly as you can switch between 20 and 40 meters, for example. No cable
changes. Just push the BAND button.

Ron AC7AC