In a message dated 10/27/06 7:33:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ink.net writes:

> Even honestly described and advertised HF verticals without a very very
> very good radial system are terrible performers compared to a simple dipole.

I disagree!

The situation is much more complex than that.

 Commercial *portable* verticals are especially so, and are also usually
absurdly
> expensive.  An example of a money and power waster is the Outbacker-series
> with their "ground coupling" base for portable use.  It is one of those $400
> "systems" that performs very poorly, compared to a $5 dipole.  I've done
> side-by-side testing of both on several occasions.

Of course a lossy antenna system - vertical or not - will be bested by an
efficient one.

There's also the factor of pattern.

Verticals are often sold as "great for local or DX". And they are - local (up
to a few miles) via ground wave, and DX (beyond 1-2 thousand miles) by
low-angle radiation.

But for everything in between, a dipole is better.

> I was tempted to repeat the old saw about there being no such thing as a
> free lunch, but that would be wrong.  The simple dipole is very close to
> being
> free, and it will normally way outperform any HF vertical no matter how much
> money is dumped into some expensive "exotic" or bogus design.

Again, "it depends". For example, a quarter wave vertical on 20 meters is
only 16 feet high. With its base a few feet off the ground, and a dozen sloping
radials, it will do as well or better as a dipole 40-50 feet up - *if* it's in
a wide-open location.

I built such a vertical for portable use from EMT and PVC, and have had great
success with it on Field Day.

OTOH, a loaded 80 meter vertical with a few radials isn't going to compete
with a decent dipole.

73 de Jim, N2EY