Fred, N3CSY, asked:
"what type of ATTIC ANTENNAS are
good, for us living in restricted communities (no
antennas) - with attics?"

------------------

I have and excellent results with doublets. That's a center fed wire as long
as I had room for in the attic. In an apartment that was at least 33 feet,
perhaps a little more, by making it slightly "Z" shaped. It doesn't hurt to
bend the ends a bit; just try to keep the angles of the bends as large as
you have room for. I strung them "inverted V" style from the rafters with
the center up at the peak as much as possible. No RF ground is needed and
the antenna is quite efficient.

They were fed with invisible open wire line. I made it out of whatever wire
was handy for the part in the attic and the visible part was white wire-wrap
wire sold by RS and others. It's quite small, about #30. That's not ideal
for a feeder but then again my feed line was rather short, especially the
part inside the apartment. I tried to arrange the operating desk next to a
wall as nearly as possible under the center of the antenna. Directly above
the operating position, I used an ice pick to put two small holes in the
ceiling right where it joins the wall. The resulting holes are no larger
than those produced by hanging a picture. The holes were about 2 inches
apart. I used a miniature homebrew ATU that hung on the wall at a convenient
height.  I positioned the holes to be directly above it. Most apartment
walls are white or nearly so the white wire wrap wire is invisible against
the wall. I ran two lengths, one for each side of the feeder, up the wall
and through the tiny holes into the attic. One or two staples held the wires
tightly against the wall. Thumbtacks that match the wall work FB too.
Drywall is a good insulator. Up in the attic I ran the two feed wires to the
center of the antenna. Bits of plastic cut from film cans, old plastic coat
hangars or whatever is handy made up the spacers. It is NOT necessary to
have the wires running exactly parallel. Just make sure they don't touch and
are sort of parallel to the center of the antenna.

I had visitors come to the "shack" and look all around for the feeders from
two feet away without seeing them until I pointed them out.

A better choice for the feeder wire might be white hookup wire (if you have
white walls), #20 or #22.  If your walls are a different color, consider a
little touchup paint matching the walls to dip the wire in to color it
before installing the feeder. Touch the heads of a couple of thumbtacks with
the same paint to hold the wires securely against the wall. Two at the top
and two at the bottom are usually plenty.

I never had an apartment higher than two floors, but I worked a LOT of DX
running 5 to 15 watts on HF CW, mostly 40, 30, and 20 meters. Made a lot of
contacts running 2 watts with an HW-8 as well.

At 33 feet long, the antenna was "full sized" for 40 meters. On 80 it was
only slightly less efficient than a full half wave. On the higher bands it
was really FB. The biggest problems on 80 for me were, 1) Noise from the
electrical systems in the apartments including things like touch-lamps and
cheap dimmers. Most apartments have the power lines running around the
ceilings (grrrrrr) and  2) Since my highest apartment was on the second
level, the antenna was no more than 30 feet above the ground. That's very
low for an 80 meter antenna. But on the higher bands it worked great.

You can build that antenna for perhaps $10 if you buy the wire and regular
antenna insulators new. If you get creative about what to use for insulators
the only cost is the wire and a little time.

Ron AC7AC