I'm surprised with all this talk of dipoles and doublets that no-one has
mentioned loops. I'm not an antenna expert, but it has always seemed to me
that the efficiency of an antenna is somewhat related to the amount of wire
in the radiating element.

You can get more wire in a loop round the periphery of an attic than you
will get in a dipole strung in the apex of it. It may not give a 50 ohm
match, but nor will the dipole except at one frequency. If you feed it with
ladder line and a balun, or a very short length of co-ax, feeder losses
will be kept to a minimum. That's what I use.

73 de Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.g4ilo.com