Brett, that quote was from N6WG, not me.

73,
Bob, N7XY

On Feb 9, 2007, at 3:57 PM, VR2BrettGraham wrote:

N7XY queried:

"One of the strengths of the K2 is its single-conversion design. That is, in part, responsible for the extremely good specifications the receiver enjoys.
However, i.f. shift such as other rigs often feature require a
multiple-conversion design with all the issues that come with additional
mixers, oscillators and complexity. "

Well, I'm not sure this is totally true. Before I got my first K2, I used a Kenwood TS-180S which had a very nice IF shift feature. It was also a single conversion radio, with an IF of about 8.3 MHz. I loaned the manual
to Eric and Wayne so they could see how it was done.

Sure wish there was a way to implement it in the K2.

TS-820S is another example of single conversion with IF shift.

You can do with K2, but bit too granular with current front panel
interface.  I believe it is even mentioned in the manual.

Making a knob into interface for IF shift is entirely possible,
since knobs are already used as interface to change
frequencies of stuff inside.

"Firmware says no" (apologies to Little Britain ;^)

Saying it can't be done & not appreciating what IF shift
is good for probably helps keep it that way.  ;^(

73 & HLNY, VR2BrettGraham