Miswiring the external speaker jack should not keep the speaker from
working, unless you reverse the copper (hot) and silver (ground) wires. The
new speaker jack reversed the position of the hot connections so if it was
wired according to the original illustration in the manual, there'd be no
audio output from the jack if an external speaker was plugged in. That's
because with the hot leads reversed, the tip of the external plug ends up
connected to the speaker in the K2 instead of the hot lead from the RF
board. But, with nothing in the jack the speaker would get normal audio.

Don's suggestion about possibly plugging it into the wrong place sounds
likely. The other thing is to make sure you inserted the leads into the plug
correctly. That silver/copper polarity assumes you inserted the leads into
the plug that goes to the RF board in the correct positions as shown in
Figure 7-3 (page 79 in the manual).

Ron AC7AC