Ron, AC7AC wrote:

AHA! You've uncovered another variable in the equation. As a certified O.T.
CW operator, I set the AF gain at a level just below where the audio channel
noise is apparent in the phones and control the volume of signals with the
RF GAIN control!

So my fat fingers never crash into the phones plug although I have pinched
one between the AF GAIN and RF GAIN often enough to understand the problem.

Personally, I've daydreamed about moving the RF gain to the RIT/XIT knob
position. Since I use SPLIT I do all my tuning - xmit and rx separately -
with the big knob.

That way I'd never have to mess with those close-spaced little knobs over on
the left while operating...

Confession time I suppose, I do use CW as well as SSB <g>. When operating CW I use the AF gain and RF gain controls as you use them, an O.T's. habit perhaps, and also use SPLIT to do the tuning in both modes, except when hunting around a band. I cannot recall using RIT nor XIT with the K2. Moving the RF gain to the RIT / XIT knob position makes a lot of sense to me.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD