Tom,

If you are plugging the speaker into P5 on the CONTROL BOARD, it will NOT
work there.
Plug it into P5 on the RF Board and see what happens.  If it still does not
work, you may have wired the external speaker jack incorrectly - it was
recently change (new ones have a hex nut) and the manual is no longer
correct - check th eBuilder's alert on the Elecraft website.

73,
Don W3FPR