I have not built a Heathkit. I have a background in electronics, I have done plenty of soldering, but I have not built many kits. The directions, the way the parts are stored, and the support makes a big difference with this kit. Plugging components in, soldering them, and following the instructions is very simple. I have been working on my kit, off and on since the end of January. With a wife and three kids, I do not always get the time to focus on it that I would like.

There are resistance checks, and test steps along the way. When readings and their suggested values did not completely make since, I pulled out the schematic and made sense out of them.

There are three boards in the basic kit, the control board, the front panel and the RF board. The first two went together quickly and easily for me. The only struggle was a back panel mod. Something that is a weakness in my skill set. I have gotten some great advice from Don and Ron on how I can make the task much simpler next time.

Toroids were a bit of a challenge for me. I have VERY large hands, and I had NEVER done toroids before. None the less I have gotten through the first 5 and learned quite a bit. I get a little better at each one I do, thanks to a lot of good advice that has been imparted here. I do not look forward to them, but I can get them done. Sewing them and tinning the ones that stand upright, I have gotten a handle on. Tinning the ones that lay down flat, are still a bit of a trial.

I have learned much in the short time I have worked on the kit. It seems very daunting at first, but like so many tasks in life, when taken a bit at a time, all of a sudden you look back and think, "wow, I'm almost done".

You shouldn't have any trouble with the kit. Take your time. If you run into troubles, or get confused or frustrated, sit it down and come back to it. If it still gives you trouble ask for advice either publicly here on the list, or privately to specific folks. There is a fountain of information here, just waiting for you to take a sip. Good luck.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW

Chip Hood wrote:
I am trying to get a feel for the difficulty to build a K-2 (w/SSB and tuner
options) compared to a Heathkit HW-9:  difficulty, time to complete,
troubleshooting, etc.

My last kit was a good while back - an HW-9 with band pack.  I'd like to build
the K-2 myself but don't want to bite off more than I can handle or have time
to complete.

Thanks for any input.

73,  KM4AF -- Chip