David,

The sidetone source may have been inadvertently set incorrectly in the menu, although it should not have been in an initial build.

In any case, proceed as follows:
Enter the MENU and find ST L - hold EDIT and set the number at some reasonable level (50 to 60). Before doing anything else, tap the DISPLAY button to change the sidetone source. If you don't hear sidetone, then tap DISPLAY several times again - stop tapping if you hear sidetone and exit the menu.

If you do not hear sidetone after tapping DISPLAY several times, look at the display after tapping DISPLAY - it will show either U6-25 or U8-4. Tap until it says U8-4 and then exit the menu. In that event, ask again clarifying that you had changed the sidetone source.

Lest you think that providing an alternate sidetone source is a little strange, that feature is built into the firmware to support K2s below SN 3000 that have not had the sidetone source change applied (only those without a KPA100 or a KIO2).

73,
Don W3FPR

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I've been plugging through my construction and have hit my first bump in the road.

As I got to page 46 in the "Alignment and Test, Part 1" section, I came to the Audio Amplifier and Tone Generator Test where you plug in a pair of low impedance headphones, tap MENU and scroll to ST L, hold EDIT to activate the sidetone, and should hear a clean 600 Hz tone.

Every test to this point has met the specs, I've now inspected over every solder point three times, the headphone jack is wired correctly according to the book and I can't find any errors...but, I hear absolutely nothing, either on ST L or ST P.....

Any suggestions on where to backtrack and check at this point?

David King