On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 17:05 +0100, Julian G4ILO wrote:
> The only way I can get a reply to go to the list is to select Reply
> All, which is hidden in a menu.

That's gmail's fault for not providing a "reply to list" option. You
could send them a feature request (I believe there is an online form for
doing this), but I haven't found them very responsive in the past. Maybe
they just don't like my feature requests! ;-)

> GMail does display messages in threads, which is one reason why it is
> a very good way to read this list.

Well, it groups them together into what gmail calls "conversations".
This is not quite the same as a threading email reader which displays
them in a hierarchical tree - and not as useful either.

>  I can see the In-Reply-To:, but
> GMail is obviously clever enough to know that despite that, if the
> subject header changes it is probably a new topic.

Incorrect (and non-standard) behaviour for a mail client. Threads often
drift slowly over time, and eventually someone changes the subject line;
or often people will change the subject line to be more specific to
their own post which is still about the same topic. I would not want my
mail reader displaying these as new threads.