> I have to say it sounds like the daily, more or less,
> firmware uploads execute flawlessly. Haven't seen a negative
> word on the subject...

It does work smoothly and effortlessly.  When I see a new MCU or DSP
firmware file on the share (or, the firmware team announces such), I
download to the K3 with a couple clicks and 2-3 minutes of time.

> I'm wondering what the process involves. Is it similar to say
> the Ten Tec Pegasus or AmQRP micro908 uploads?

It is most similar to the Windows Update mechanism.  It uses the same RS232
cable connecting your K3 to your PC for rig control.

> Would it require a direct connection to the web or could you
> download the upgrade (like N1MM) and install it via any
> computer connected to the rig?

The PC interfaces to the K3 also needs an Internet connection.  The K3 Field
Test shared server is live all the time and updates the local K3 folder on
your PC when any files are added to the share, e.g., new firmware,
documentation, etc.  You open the K3 Firmware Loader application (or, leave
it open) and it shows you what revision firmware in currently installed in
your K3 vs. what the latest version is available on the server.  If you want
to download, simply click the 'Download' button, wait 2-3 minutes and that's
it.

Future versions might work differently, e.g., even more automated like
Windows Update, if you prefer, or more traditional methods for those without
Internet connections, e.g., CD-ROM from the factory.

73,
Ed - W0YK