If the end result of that would be a battery powered radio the size of
an FT-817 or smaller, with K2 + KAT2 functionality then it would be a
must-buy. The FT-817 has been very popular but technically it is a
huge disappointment, with a poor receiver, far too high power
consumption for its battery size and no built in ATU which is really
needed in the field. By the time you have added an external battery
and an ATU, you may as well take a K2. The only trouble is FT-817s are
now very cheap (about a third the price I paid for my first one!) and
any Elecraft competitor would probably be perceived as expensive by
most potential buyers.

I personally don't have the space for the four times larger K3
proposed by Brett, but as there seems to be quite a lot of space
inside the K3 already I don't really see the point in any case. If it
is a question of operating ergonomics, perhaps the answer is a
software front panel, e.g. HRD.

--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com