On the assumption that people wanting little radios
could get or already have a K1, K2, etc.
And from looking at ads in QST and the AES catalog,
the big rigs get the attention, along with anything 'new'.

Sure, there are loads of people who would like an
expensive radio, like me, but I don't have $10,000.00
to plunk down for the really good ones.
I got an icom 756 pro cheap used, while a poor performer
compared to the Elecraft rigs on RX, it was a slick
package with lots of features, knobs, buttons, great displays,
real S meter, auto antenna tuner, 6 meters, in a bigger box.
It even came with a microphone!

It seems to me like there are LOADS of guys that have to have the
latest and greatest, as well as plenty of people who will get
whatever they can for the lowest cost.

I don't think Elecraft could compete with really cheap rigs or
used rigs, but they do real well with the great performing rigs.

>From a business standpoint, you want a bigger box and more features
that dazzle, like the multi color band scope, lots of knobs, some gold
trim highlights, and some heft to it.
That is what the usual suspects have been doing, add the Elecraft
high performance and it would sell like hotcakes!

Brett
N2DTS