I'll say this and then be quiet.

I find phrases like the following to be extremely offensive:

"designers had K2-its"

"human factor... so often ignored by purist engineers..."

"attacks from rabid fans"

"experts (ex-spurts)"

"Real engineers seem to stall out when they try to confront intangible human
factors"

"toy sized"

I don't see what the point is in these comments. If you don't like a product
- any product - just don't buy it. That's one of the great things about ham
radio: we don't have to buy any particular thing, and we have lots of choices.
KR2Q stated the choices perfectly, dittoes to what he wrote.

Please - it's enough to say "I prefer A over B". The derogatory comments
about engineers, toys, experts, rabid fans, etc. are really, really offensive.

"The K3 has jumped Elecraft into the arena of the ORION 2, FT-9000 and
IC-7800 and great specs are great, but.....This means they can still be beaten
in
the marketplace when their specs indicate they should be the only hi end rig of
choice."

How much do each of those other rigs cost?

Can you leave out features you don't find essential to lower the price, then
add them later if you want to?

For me, a 100 watt K3 kit with ATU and one optional roofing filter would be
the starting point. Priced at about *half* of an Orion II with ATU. Put every
available option in the K3 and its price will not reach 75% of the price of an
Orion II with ATU.  And the Orion II is much lower priced than the FTdx-9000
or the IC-7800.

Elecraft's game has always been to produce high performance rigs (not "toys"
- RIGS!) that are uniquely different from what's on the market, at a lower
price and with much more owner involvement. That their products could even be
considered competition to rigs costing so much more simply amazes me.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for the BW

73 de Jim, N2EY