On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:57:24 -0700, Darwin, Keith wrote:

>In the mid 80's I had access to a 13 element log periodic that
>covered 40 -10 meters.  It was 200 feet above ground.  The club
>station had a Henry amp to drive it.  Man, what a signal!

>Anyone know anything about this antenna?  I know it was made by
>Collins and was apparently designed for military use.  At 10,000
>lbs, it sure was big!

  That was the "standard" US military HF antenna.  In spite of
  its size, it didn't have that much gain but it was flat across
  the HF spectrum and could take a lot of power.

  About 20 years ago my former Federal employer had a chance to
  get one of those "for free" from an AF Reserve unit that was
  decommissioned.  We would have had to take it down, move it
  about 2 miles through city streets, and re-erect it, at a cost
  of about $25K just in labor for licensed riggers.  Our budget
  people couldn't come up with the money, so some other Federal
  or State agency got it.

  Would have been nice.....

--
   73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane