Ken Kaplan wrote:
Dave (et al):
I pass that large array (at the FAA, LI MacArthur Airport)
every day on the way to work. I have been wondering for years how to get my K2 hooked up to it. I have friends who work there, but alas, they have no good connections..hi.
73
Ken WB2ART

Those things have been around for decades. There was one on top of the WW2 wooden hangar at Galena AFS AK [KL7FBK] when I first arrived in early 1963. They are impressive to see, extremely wide bandwidth [most of the HF spectrum] but not much gain. Huge rotator, and somewhat hard to aim because of the large moment of inertia. However, F/B ratio was also low so precise aiming wasn't needed. The basic idea behind a log-periodic is that only a couple of elements are active on any given frequency, so electrically, they're not nearly a big as they look. You could hook it to your K2, but you'd be disappointed.

The military ran engineered circuits, and the flat response was the reason the L-P's were so ubiquitous on military posts. From Galena, we generally checked into an early morning weather net [on 20 I think], and the 3 el tribander was much better than the L-P.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7