Jerry:

You might first wish to measure the reverse isolation of a MMIC before you make that statement. While they are great devices, isolation is not their strong suit.

The Gali74, which I use for a variety of purposes, has an isolation of around 28 dB at the K2's IF frequency. The gain is 25 dB, so if you pad the output for unity gain, you are around 53 dB. With a Softrock's typical -40 dBm LO leakage, that strikes me a bit on the marginal side.

Jack K8ZOA

Jerry Flanders wrote:
I assume a simple MMIC amp plus a simple resistive attenuator circuit will provide enough isolation and also provide for matching levels up/down as may be necessary. At least, that will be my first cut at the problem unless somebody else comes up with a better plan before my K3 arrives.

At down east microwave ( http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/cat-frame.htm ), see the <http://literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5967-6159E.pdf>INA10386 (DC-2GHz, 24dBG, 3.5dB NF +14dbm 1dB Gain compression ) for only $5. Very easy to use something like this, I think.

Depending on the signal level of the K3 IF output, we might get enough isolation from a resistive attenuator alone and still have a usable signal level on the softrock panadaptor.

I would much prefer a plug and play manufactured solution if it takes more than an attenuator, but not an expensive one.

Jerry W4UK