There is no real need for the UNPCBs whether one has ordered all the options or not.

When building the K2, follow the instructions in the manual. There is an optimum time to install the parts for the different options and the manual tells you when to do that. I would suggest only one exception to that which is to install the KSB2 components that go onto the front panel during the population of the Front Panel Board sometime before you install the knobs. The idea is that the base K2 should be tested before any changes for options are made.

Do not install the K60XV changes until you have completed anf tested the base K2 (that is pointed out in the manual).

The amount of extra work to build the base K2 and then add the options later is (IMHO) trivial, but others may differ. Yes, there is a small amount of desoldering to be done, but in each case the component already soldered in can be destroyed and its leads removed one at a time. The solder pads can be cleaned up with solder wick afterwards and if solder remains in the hole, you can heat it and use a stainless steel sewing needle or a toothpick to push through the hole and open it for the new component lead.

73,
Don W3FPR

PS: If you feel your email address has been 'mined' from the list, you may want to report that to the list manager, Eric Swartz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

DW Holtman wrote:
Hello,

Are these really necessary? Didn't Elecraft make the K2 to where additional parts are really not necessary? I have ordered every option that I will ever want along with a Elecraft Mic, why would I want to pay for UNPCBS?

Should companies be able to "mine" information such as who ordered what from this forum and send E-Mails for selling their goods? I understand that this is parts for K2. Maybe this is alright and I'm all wet.