DW Holtman wrote:

> I have ordered every option that I will ever want along with a
Elecraft Mic,
> why would I want to pay for UNPCBS?

You wouldn't.  The benefit of the unpcbs & such is that you can
eliminate rework when adding options.  Folks like me can start with a
basic K2 with the rework eliminators and then add options later without
having to do any rework on the K2 boards.  Some value this approach,
others scoff at it.  In your case, if you have all the options you'll
ever want, won't be making any changes and never plan to sell the K2,
then you can ignore the UNPCBS.  If you want to try different options,
or may some day sell the K2, then the UNPCBS / Rework Eliminators are
nice to have.

Elecraft built the K2 to be inexpensive and leaving out a handful of
parts apparently was a small part of that plan.  I'm one of those who
wish they had NOT done it that but instead built the K2 from the start
to be fully plug & play.  I want the freedom to just plug in an option
without having to make mods to the base unit, and then to later unplug
it and return to the stock radio.  UNPCBS & Rework Eliminators (whatever
they're called these days) have allowed my K2 to be just that.

> Should companies be able to "mine" information such as who ordered
what from
> this forum and send E-Mails for selling their goods?

You make it sound as if some robot is scanning the list for a bunch of
e-mail addresses and then mass spamming us.  I don't think that's the
case.  These products do not benefit you once your K2 is built so the
time to consider them is at the start.  Gary is part of the list and
will let people know about his product at the appropriate time.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -
- K3 Wave 3 -