To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3/10 For Sale or Trade

Paul Christensen wrote:
I also find it is much easier to hold the REV button and tune the VFO with one hand when working split on the Omni-VI than the K3.

That's one K3 limitation that I have not experienced with most other transceivers. Of all the panel buttons, the placement of the REV button is probably the most critical. Other controls maybe touched up periodically but when you're working split with a paddle in one hand, split mode requires a very ergonomic one-hand operation. I would have preferred the K3's REV button placed either in place of the red Freq. Entry button so that the right index finger can be used while using the thumb and other fingers to find the Dx stations listening frequency -- or in the alternative, placement of the REV button on the lower left of the main VFO so that the right thumb is used. I am right-handed so I am naturally biased.

The Ducie guys with their K3s never ran into this dilemma as the DX station. It manifests only for the mere mortals trying to work the DX station. Of course, when the sub-receiver is offered, this all becomes moot point but not everyone will want the optional sub-rx.

A useful feature for K3s that don't have the sub-receiver would be to duplicate the REV function on the SUB button.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK