----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim's mail" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: UPS Rates - Editorial Comment

.  I contacted the maker and they gave authorization to return it via
FedEx for repair or replacement. I paid a little extra (I forgot how much) for a tracking number for the item going to the maker. They sent me a tracking number on a replacement unit they were sending to replace the one sent in. FedEx reported that the item had been received by the local terminal and had been placed on a truck for delivery. Three weeks later it still was not delivered. I had to ask the maker of the unit to file a claim with the carrier (FedEx) in order to finally get a replacement unit delivered. For that reason, FedEx is nowhere near the top three in terms of carriers that would be selected if I had to ship any item for whatever reason.

Of course, YMMV.
Jim  KD5VXH

Jim and All,

Well, I think this happens a good bit, but it certainly is the exception rather than the rule considering the volume of packages that are shipped every day--it's probably millions.

I used to live in Memphis, which is FedEx headquarters. My neighbor two doors down was the head of FedEx IT (info technology). On my 40th birthday, my wife threw a little neighborhood party for me, and my FedEx neighbor was one of the attendees. His name is Jim Barksdale. This was 1981. I remember that a bunch of us were sipping toddies in the kitchen, and Jim had our undivided attention while he explained his latest project which is how FedEx was going to be able to track packages using satellites! I think FedEx was the first to do this, but I may be wrong. Initially the tracking was more rudimentary, but now they can keep tabs on things with those little hand-held devices they have. I think it's pretty amazing myself.

By the way, Jim went on to bigger and better things. Later he was president of FedEx, and after that he got entrepeneurial, including starting a company called Netscape!

Dave W7AQK