> A couple of reasons.  As you mention, there is no tracking
> ability.  Not only can you not figure out where the package
> is, neither can USPS.  If the package didn't arrive when you
> thought it did, they'll say "wait a couple of weeks".

Priority Mail, if handled properly by the originator, will
show time and date of the originating Post Office, receipt
at the destination regional mail facility if any, receipt at
the destination Post Office and delivery information with a
12 hour (approx) lag.  I use it all the time.

> The other issue is insurance cost.  USPS seems low cost until
> you ship a $600 item and have to pay for insurance coverage.
> Then the costs become much more similar.

Even with insurance USPS is far less expensive than US or
FedEx unless the shipper has "negotiated" rates.

> As bad as FedEx and UPS are for damage claims, the USPS is
> far worse.

I've had far less difficulty with loss claims with USPS than
with either UPS or FedEx (both of which seem to use third
party insurance companies).  USPS will take up to six weeks
to pay off a claim but they have been quite reasonable to
deal with (including international claims).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV