I'm not all that familiar with UPS rates now and previously. But it doesn't make much sense that rates would have "skyrocketed" just because of the increased cost of fuel. If this has indeed happened, then I think UPS is using fuel costs as an excuse to inordinately raise prices. Fuel costs are only part of the overall cost of shipping, and they shouldn't represent the majority of the overall cost. Like most other services, salaries, equipment costs, facility costs, etc. should represent most of the cost. Fuel costs may have doubled, or nearly so, in the past year, but that should only apply to a portion of the overall cost. They can spread this increased cost over a lot of packages. If this weren't true, you would see similar increases in food costs, etc. These have gone up too, but not as dramatically as you make it sound for shipping of packages. But you don't say how much the increase really is, so I can't make any kind of real comparison.

USPS priority mail has been a very cost effective way to ship smaller packages and envelopes for some time. It has always been cheaper than UPS, and I find it to generally be faster! The one thing that is lacking is the ability to track your package. If I am given the option, I usually choose USPS priority mail. I've never had a problem using that option, but I must admit the lack of tracking is something that would make me nervous if it were something truly valuable being shipped. Priority mail can be 1 to 2 days faster than UPS. I'm not sure you could send something as big as a radio by Priority Mail, but perhaps a smaller radio would be allowed size wise. But I don't think I would be shipping my K3 via USPS. I want to know exactly where it is all the way to the destination. The tracking systems used by FedEx and UPS pretty much guarantee your package won't get lost.

Dave W7AQK

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Lee Buller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: UPS Rates - Editorial Comment

You would be hard pressed to beat the USPS today. The Priority Mail flat rate
service is the way to go.  Check here:

http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm?from=priority&page=flatrate <http://www.usps.com/shipping/flatrate.htm?from=priority&page=flatrate>

$4.60 for an envelope and $8.95 for a box. Whatever you can fit in it, and they
furnish the box or envelope too. Free sizes here:

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820 <http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductCategoryDisplay?catalogId=10152&storeId=10001&categoryId=13359&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=11820&top_category=11820>

I've abandoned a purchase when the vendor could or would not use this service. Why pay 2 or more times the USPS rate for ground service across the country by one of the Big 3 carriers taking 5 days, this is usually 3 day service.

No, I'm not a Postal Employee just a satisfied user of the service..... I'll concede that the tracking of a package is not as good. All you get is pick up and delivery.

73,
Bob
K2TK
I have been using US Postal Service for all my shipping.
They are cheaper right now, and I sure an increase will be in the works, but they good service as well. Also, they
do not up charge for shipping like other agents for UPS.
Right now the USPS is a great bargain for shipping.

Lee
K0WA