Jim,

> Insignificant depends on the decoder, what you are decoding (PSK
> or RTTY), band conditions, and the operator. If a PSK operator is
> using the IF with a broadband setting and tries to work a signal
> that's really a harmonic, it won't work -- he'll be transmitting
> on a frequency displaced from the signal he thinks he's working
> (displaced by 2X the audio frequency of the actual signal if it's
> a third harmonic, 1X if it't the second harmonic). If it's a
> crowded RTTY contest, there can be lots of big signals creating
> that IM. Or the operator could be using a narrow roofing filter
> and those other signals are not there or heavily suppressed, so
> can't cause IM.

It would be a sorry situation if an operator can't tell the
difference between a desired signal and an audio harmonic down
50 dB.  K3_Line_out.jpg shows the line out spectrum of my K3
at 1 KHz, Data_A, 2.8 KHz 1st IF filter and 4 KHz filter.  The
third harmonic is -62 dB and the fifth harmonic is - 80 dB.
See: www.microHAM-USA.com/Downloads/K3_Line_Out.jpg.

A typical waterfall does not show the spurious signals at the
soundcard input (noise on the cables) which is well below the
"band noise" - typically around -60 dBu.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV