> Anyway, the "noise/distortion" is still there coming out of the
> headphone socket.

The spectrum display you sent me shows an excessive level of
50 Hz harmonics - some 15 dB above the noise floor and only
40 dB below the desired signal from 150 Hz to above 3 KHz.
That strongly indicates serious grounding issues, power supply
filtering problems, improper power supply decoupling and/or
soundcard instability.  I suggest you read K9YC's information
on interfacing and RFI www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
and resolve that noise issue first.  I have seen the K3 audio
output "go spurious" when presented a bad load or encountering
regeneration (feedback from powered speakers) due to bad grounds.