Of course virtually everything we use today, especially complex, high-tech
stuff, comes from China. Fortunately, Elecraft is a welcome exception
(although I wouldn't suggest studying all the individual components inside
too closely if one doesn't like Asian parts ;-)

You bring up an excellent point about leaving any electrical device running
unattended. About a year ago I had the air circulating fan on a wood stove
literally burst into flames without warning. Shorted turns no doubt. Of
course that was in a pretty fire-safe location since it was attached to the
stove sitting in the masonry alcove, but the smoke would have been noxious
and damaging had we not been there to disconnect it and suppress the fire
immediately.

The ham shack and  work bench are completely shut down when I'm away.

In the USA, the Underwriter's Labs (UL) rates CFL bulbs for safety even
under the end-of-life conditions where  the base overheats and the
resistor-fuse burns open. Not all bulbs are UL approved though and that only
says the base shouldn't fail when the smoke pours forth.

About a year ago, the Canadian Electrical Safety Authority issued an alert
about using CFLs that recommended they be replaced the moment any sign of
malfunction appears: flickering, smelling hot, discolored base, etc.

 <http://www.esasafe.com/pdf/Safety_Alerts/07-03-AL.pdf>
http://www.esasafe.com/pdf/Safety_Alerts/07-03-AL.pdf

That's contrary to our long experience with ignoring a lamp until it fails
and goes dark. Of course, that's been the case with fluorescent lamps for
the last 50 years or so, but the smoke and noxious fumes (sometimes coupled
with hot-dripping tar) usually came from overhead fixtures in offices and
shops when the ballast transformer failed. It's a little different when it
happens in our living room lamp (even without the hot tar ;-).

The long fluorescent tubes also require special handling when they must be
disposed of. That's true of most batteries too. The 5 mg of mercury in a
typical CFL or even smaller amount in a "dry cell" is hardly a danger to us
if we break one, but the aggregate of millions of them landing in landfills
can produce a toxic mess.

Some options to the normal recycling center drop-off for many cities can be
found here:

http://earth911.org/

www.epa.gov/bulbrecycling

Many stores who sell new lamps will take dead CFLs for recycling, just like
they do the long tubes.

Like you, I'll continue to use them, but do so only in places where I can
see what's going on.

Hopefully, LED types will not have such worrisome failure mechanisms.

Ron AC7AC