Interesting idea Ty!

I use an ordinary battery powered light when I need it if the mains power is
off, but I do have two common desk lamps that use 12V halogen lamps. They
have small transformers in the base to drop the mains voltage.

One primary reason I haven't considered doing that is because even the
little desk lamps use 20 watts of power. That's over 1.5 amperes at 12
volts. Incandescent lamps are not very efficient.

How about an LED lamp? Shoot, I picked up a few LED flashlights for $4 each
a while back on sale. They put out a LOT of light! A simple holder would
turn one into a desk lamp in an instant.

Come to think of it, my Elecraft KX1 has just such a lamp built in!

Ron AC7AC