On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 05:05 -0700, Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> I can always use the FT-817. Just how deaf is the K3 on 6m really, anyway?

Not very deaf at all. It's just not capable of hearing to the thermal
nose floor at a good setup.
Having said that Stock K3's have managed EME contacts so it's not far
off and the stock K3 is definitely better on 6m than many of the other
mid priced  HF+6m, radios out there and runs veritable rings around the
817 on 6m in the sensitivity stakes.

Adding the preamp here ( I am one of the 6m-pre beta testers)  to my
good set-up (7 element long yagi in a very quiet rural location) helps
by a couple of dB, well worth having for weak signal work but makes no
difference for 95% of my 6m Contacts
If your local noise floor is not quiet then the 6m pre won't help a
bit.
A quick test is does the received nose level drop significantly (several
dB) when you switch from your antenna to a 50Ohm Dummy load?
If so then it is unlikely a preamp will help.

73
Brendan
--
Don‘t complain. Nobody will understand. Or care. And certainly don‘t try
to fix the situation yourself. It‘s dangerous. Leave it to a highly