Julian, from my earlier measurements (from per my web site): "Adding an external pre-amplifier between the RF out and RF in of a KXV3 interface improves the sensitivity by 10 dBm giving 10 dB SINAD at -136 dBm in 400 Hz bandwidth and a MDS of -146 dBm -which compares to an MDS of -136 dBm without the pre-amp. The pre-amp I am using is an Advanced Receiver Research Inc. model P50VDG with power derived from the +12 Volt output of the K3. There is no need to add a 10 dB attenuator after the pre-amp as the K3 attenuator works fine to reduce strong signals and in any event the pre-amp can be switched out by pressing the "RX ANT" switch on the K3."

The 0.5 dB NF Advanced Receiver Research 6m pre-amp is a similar package to the PR6, except it only has the IN/OUT sockets. http://www.advancedreceiver.com/

73 Dave, G4AON
K3/100 #80

Well, given the current economic climate, at $250 (KXV3 + preamp) plus
shipping to get performance that the stock K3 ought to have been capable of
anyway, I think I'll pass on this.

I can always use the FT-817. Just how deaf is the K3 on 6m really, anyway?

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392 K3 #222.