A couple of things I've used to clear plated through holes:

1)      A common "solder sucker" such as sold at Radio Shack and many other
places. Hold the board so you can apply heat from the soldering iron on one
side of the board while placing the solder sucker over the hole on the
opposite side. 'Wham': the hole is empty. It helps to put a little solder on
the iron first so it transfers heat well. '

2)      A drop of flux to help "desoldering braid" usually clears the hole
instantly. Even expensive braid doesn't have enough flux on it for this, but
a small dab from a bottle of flux does wonders.

I consider a bit of flux in a bottle just about as valuable as diagonal
cutters on the bench. I have little 2 fl oz (50 ml)  bottle of GC
Electronics flux (P/N 10-4202) that I've used for years, and the level of
the flux is now almost below the top of the neck. At this rate I'll leave it
to a couple more generations of builders <G>.

Ron AC7AC