----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Buller" <k...@swbell.net>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 10:07 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] OT Slightly: PC Board Recovery -Plated Through Holes

I was putting together a kit this evening (non Elecraft) and discovered I was using the wrong instruction sheet version to the parts and board I was using. (Always check your parts before beginning - which I did not) I had to putt about 10 resistors of the board. They are plated through holes. I did not have a vacuum desoldering station...so I have to think of somethingto get the solder out of the holes. A small drill? Anyone has some comments?

Lee Buller - K0WA
"Embarrased to say the least"

Howdy Lee:

If you don't have good solder wick then try using a stainless steel sewing needle.

I've used a sewing needle many times and it works great...heat the pad and stick the needle down thru the hole while the solder is melting.

The needle will push the solder out the other side where you can clip off the excess and clean the remainder up with solder wick....the needle, being stainless steel, won't adhere to the solder so it will just pull right back out of the hole.

Best of luck in getting your board cleaned up.

                               73, Joe W2KJ
I QRP, therefore I am