Bill W4ZV wrote:

> This could be a second issue (i.e. separating multiple strong stations)
> which Dave K6LL has identified.  I haven't experienced it as yet because
> unfortunately I haven't had many pileups of strong stations calling me!
> However I believe Dave W6NL has determined that AGC THR and AGC SLP
> settings of 5 and 5 are best for this separation issue.

I don't see why SLP of 0 and THR of 8 wouldn't be the best settings in this
case, in order to minimize compression?  Perhaps Wayne/Lyle could weigh in
on this.

I have to echo W0MU and K6LL's experience - I was using AGC-F, 500hz
fil...@300-400hz dsp.  I've noticed it in previous contests and the past
weekend as well.  For whatever reason, the 40M/20M pileups this weekend were
HUGE at times, the biggest I've ever encountered.  My typical experience was
that I could work off the s8+ callers (thanks to SLP 0), but was eventually
left with a sea of "mush".  I easily could read the first character or two
of the early callers but they were soon swallowed up by the "mush".  It was
impossible to pick out an individual caller, even after reducing RF Gain.

73,
Barry N1EU