I am very interested in this topic!!!

I DO juice my KX1. I run it at 14.2 VDC when at home and it makes quite big
difference in the output power! Of course, in the field I use a 12 VDC
battery. I have almost never used the internal battery setup with a nominal
9 VDC.

I am a big fan of more power when needed. I was stuck at 85 DXCC entities
until I got an Ameritron 811-H amp from eBay. I now have 94 confirmed and 17
pending entities.

BTW, I sold my legal limit amp to buy my K3, so I do understand the joy of
barefoot operations with a good rig and of course I have had my KX1 for
years now.

Jack, AE6GC, K3-100 Kit, KX1 Kit Fully Loaded (including the SMD CW TUNING
INDICATOR)