In the RTTTY contest I noticed the fans changing speed now and then which is
expected.

never get over." Ben Franklin
-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill W4ZV
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:45 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3: Do you "Juice" your K3?

Ed Muns, W0YK wrote:

>> During the NAQP RTTY, at one point I was calling a solid stream of
>> CQ's at 100 watts output on RTTY and not getting any replies. I was
>> watching the PA Temp, and it climbed up to 65C and looked like it
>> wanted to keep rising pretty quickly.
>> I think hi temp shutdown is at 84C. I backed off on my CQ's and used
>> the other radio for a while. I had the fan speed locked on step 4.
>> All of this was at 13.8VDC. With any kind of heavy duty usage, I
>> don't think cranking up the voltage is a good idea. A better idea is
>> to buy an AL-1500 or similar low drive amp, which will give you 1500
>> watts out with 50 watts of drive. NOW, we are talking "juice." ;)
>
> This is interesting.  I run 100 watts output on RTTY, CQing and
> working stations at a continual flow, and the fans hardly run at all.
> The PA temperature stays down.  I wonder if there is something unique
> going on with your K3(s)?  One user found a fan wire impeding the
> blades of one of his fans and even on CW, he had the same experience
> described above.

That user would be me!  :-)  I strongly suspect Dave has the same problem I
did.  The longer fan wire (from the left fan viewed from the rear) was
binding the right fan.  I believe this happened when I did the 12V sense
mod.  I dropped the rear fan assembly as the directions indicated and then
replaced the assembly.  When doing this it's possible for the longer fan
wire to block the right fan and you cannot tell unless you take the top
cover off to physically inspect or test the fans to make sure both are
turning.  It's a credit to Elecraft's conservative design that heavy
operation in the ARRL DX CW with only one fan turning was not sufficient to
damage my KPA3.

Now PA TEMP seldom climbs much above 40C whereas it was resetting at ~80C
with only one fan running.  Be sure to visually check that BOTH fans are
turning.  I was fooled because it felt to my wet finger held to the rear
panel that both were turning when actually only one was.  Use the PA FN1-4
tests in the menu and make sure both are actually turning.

73,  Bill