> That's really interesting Paul.  Were you also using very narrow passband
> and other rx eq filtering?  Was he sending QRS?

I started with a wide passband, then shifted to a narrow passband with Dual
PB enabled.  That has worked well for me in the past.  I then went back to
the 2.8K filter since the 4S7 was not working split and nearby interference
was minimum, owing to long propagation.  Most U.S. stations were quite weak
at the time.

With the 2.8K filter and using F/W 3.25, by far the best copy was obtained
with a very low pitch setting.   The ultra-low pitch is lost with the
narrower roofing filters (as expected).   If he was working split only 1-2
kHz up, then the story may have been different.  Until 3.25, this was not
possible in CW mode using any filter, although possible when transmitting CW
in SSB mode -- but that presents other operating issues (e.g., frequency
display error by the offset amount).

No doubt the Elecraft guys will take care of it soon.

Paul, W9AC